Purchase Mayor Bonnette's Children's E-Book entitled “The Incredible Adventures of Goon Sharoon"

All proceeds will be donated to the Georgetown Hospital

http://www.goonsharoon.com/

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Food Culture Food Culture Food - I am stuffed

What a weekend of culture and food. No, I am not talking of going to Toronto to see the different ethnic delights but right here in Halton Hills. My weekend started off on Saturday morning by going to the Georgetown Legion for the Hungry Man's Breakfast for 8:30 am. For five bucks you get pea meal bacon, eggs, toast, home fries, baked beans and toast as well as juice and coffee or tea. The Legion is a wonderful organization that links civilians to the military and preserve our military traditions.

After this hearty breakfast I strolled down to the Georgetown Farmers market. There you can purchase many products from local farmers as well as meats and crafts. There are also food vendors. It is always a busy place to meet friends and catch up.



I caught up with Paul Thompson, the unofficial Mayor of Main St., and Danny Engleby. These two are quite the characters and I mean in a positive way. We always have a few laughs together.




At 10:30 am I was invited to celebrate the CIBC's 135 the anniversary in Georgetown. Can you imagine what Georgetown was like 135 years ago when the CIBC bank opened up. No doubt the Town has since changed. The bank made a very generous donation to CASSH ( a cancer assistance organization for those in Halton Hills who suffer this dreaded disease ). Mrs. McNally ( Councillor Jane Fogal's Mom ) was an employee for the bank from 1939-44 was called upon and myself to cut the cake along with M.P.P. Ted Arnott. Yup, more food.

By 11:00 am, I went down to Delrex to see to Katherine's Kafe. This is a young girl who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. She is now cancer free A wonderful thing. Her family wanted to give back to SickKids Foundation after Katherine had extensive treatment. She is a brave little girl. There were many people present as there was a huge garage sale as well the main attraction was Katherine"s Kafe which featured us lemonade and many baked goods. So I washed down my break fast with a couple of glasses of lemonade served to me by Katherine and her friend Maddison. I met Katherine's family and they very proud of her and what great parents to put this event on.

Now off to Georgetown's 35th Highland games. This quite a show as over 400 pipes and drums performed. There were also traditional Scottish heavy weight events. Councillor Clark Somerville was the Grand Chieftain for the games. He presided over the official opening. It was a Scottish day indeed with a misty rain, the sound of bagpipes and many different colored kilts defining the many clans. Scottish heritage was alive and well in Georgetown. Now back for some more food. Meat pies with mushy peas. Now that's what I am talking about. There were many food vendors as well to satisfy anyone's appetite.

Now did I have enough food for the day? Apparently not, as my wife Josey and Councillor Robson ended this busy Saturday night by going to the Limehouse Presbyterian Church " Beef on a Bun " supper. I have to admit I love church suppers as the foods are always home cooked. All of the above meals were all put on by organizations and individuals to benefit the our community. We are lucky to have so many volunteers and organizations to make our community so vibrant.



Am I done with the food? Not a chance as Sunday my wife Josey, Councillor Somerville and Councillor Joan Robson were invited to the Croatian Center in Norval to the " Feast of St. Anthony. " After the outdoor church service which had over 3000 people attending we were treated to the annual feast of lamb, pork, shish kabobs, potato salad and coleslaw and an array of deserts. Then to add to more culture for the weekend we were treated by traditional Croatian dancers and singers. Mayor Hazel McCallion was also present and we had quite a chat about politics. Like you, I am amazed at Mayor McCallion's energy. She told me she had 7 events to go to today.

The downer for the weekend was to hear that Father Stiepan will be leaving the Croatian Center and going to St. Louis. He had been here for many years and was instrumental in partnering with the Town on the use of additional soccer fields as well being the driving force to building the church which is a landmark for Halton Hills.



All in all, it was a busy weekend full of food, culture and more food. The big question I will have tomorrow is " Will I be able to put my pants on? " after a non stop food fest in Halton Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment