Purchase Mayor Bonnette's Children's E-Book entitled “The Incredible Adventures of Goon Sharoon"

All proceeds will be donated to the Georgetown Hospital

http://www.goonsharoon.com/

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Skating is always a great Excercise in Canada eh!



Last Saturday the Georgetown Figure Skating Club hosted a skatathon as a fundraiser for the Club. What a great way for the members to just come out and enjoy a leisure skate with other members and members of the public. I was invited to go out with them. Hmmm! I hadn't skated in years and boy am I out of practice. I played Jr. C hockey as a goalie so about 7 years ago I traded my goalie skates for a pair hockey skates. There is a huge difference.

I was a little wobbly for the first little while. Many of the families of the skating club were out including the coaches. Full marks to the Georgetown Raiders who sent a couple of their players out for a skate. The Raiders show real community spirit in this Town.

I thought of a skatathon was a real innovative way of fund raising while allowing everyone just to come out and have a great time. Some of the younger skaters were doing circles around the old beaters like myself. It is a credit to the coaches and the Georgetown Skating Club for teaching these young kids how to skate. It is a real joy watching kids out there having fun and show their skills that they had learned.

So now I am convinced I have to get out and do more skating. I do a lot of in line skating in the summer. The movements are similar but stopping is a whole different kettle of fish. The best kept secret in Town is that week day from 10-1 pm is public skating for only three bucks. Not bad eh! I went back today ( Tuesday ) and there is only a handful of skaters. So if want a good cardio vascular exercise over lunch Moldmasters Sportplex or Acton Arena are the places to be. Who knows maybe one day you will be as good as Georgetown Figure Skater.

No comments:

Post a Comment